Weimar Burlesque in the New York Times

' “The Weimar aesthetic has taken over,” said Justin Bond, the torch singer who performs as the female half of Kiki & Herb, and belts the theme song for “Weimar New York,” the cabaret revue opening tonight at the Spiegeltent, near the South Street Seaport. (“Come pop your cork/Bring a dollar and a dream/It’s a mall where over all hangs a pall that enthralls/Weimar New York.”) '
Life Is a Weimar Dream, Old Chum, and Downtown Loves a Nouveau Cabaret


Daniel Isengart in Weimar New York at Spiegeltent. Photo by Jo Weldon.


Meow Meow in Weimar New York at Spiegeltent. Photo by Jo Weldon.


Pixie Harlot with Rhinestone Baseball Bat in Weimar New York at Spiegeltent. Photo by Jo Weldon.

Article submitted to my yahoo group by Lady Aye.

My own Weimar-ish project is that I've been working on a gallery using all the flyers, articles, and photos I've collected over the past 10 years to do an homage to Voluptuous Panic, but making it look as if what's been happening in the performance art scene in New York has been the dominant aesthetic of New York in my era. By the time I finish it I'm sure no one will remember quite what was going on in downtown NY from 1997-2007, so maybe it'll be fairly convincing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girls in Giant Champagne Glasses

How to Get Started as a Performer in Burlesque

Tami Roche