A Wonderfully thought-Provoking Post from Sydni Deveraux



From the fabulous Sydni Deveraux:

"Today, I got a message (a group message on Facebook) asking me to vote for them in a burlesque competition, something like “Send me proof that you voted (a screen shot), and win a prize! First come first served, hurry! It’s a limited time offer” (message somewhat changed to protect the messenger). I was….to be honest, horrified. This, on the heels of countless emails from people to vote for them to place on a recent countdown list of the best burlesque performers-I ask you the reader if you see anything wrong with this picture?

"To be clear, I am a competitive person. I wish I weren’t, but I am the product of parents who competed in natural-bodybuilding pageants (I know-weird, right?) and over a decade of select sports. I’m not a wishy-washy “can’t we all be the same” kind of hippie when it comes to performing. I don’t think about this as a woman in a kind of feminist statement kind of way. I think about this in a “I want to see a real good show” kind of way-as an athlete- in a sense. I’ve come to realize that this is a blessing and a curse, seeing that it will always make me work harder, gym harder, want to learn more and constantly keep up on people’s careers. I strive to eventually be recognized as one of the best (or hell, the best) amongst the best. I want everyone else to be rad too-it makes it exciting! It’s good to have goals. I don’t know if I will get there, but I will sure as shit try-all while keeping my morals about me...."

Read more on Sydni's blog--there are lots of great comments too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girls in Giant Champagne Glasses

How to Get Started as a Performer in Burlesque

Tami Roche