Burlesque In Unexpected Places

In my Burlesque Moves Livejournal Community, I posted a lot of clips featuring burlesque that have since been removed from youtube, such as the Simpsons clip and the Scrubs clip. However, you get the idea; burlesque is everywhere!

When I was a teenager in the late '70s and early 80's, we were fond of riding around playing cassette tapes very loudly, and in my crowd, that meant Adam Ant, Devo and the Cramps. Some of you may or may not see the burlesque obsession connections there. For those who don't, I'll explain my nerdy self: the imagery from magazines like Cabaret, as well as old Irving Klaw photos and film reels, and other memorabilia that related to burlesque and go-go, were a big part of our aesthetic. It's amazing to me now that I get to go to the Burlesque Hall of Fame Striptease Reunion and meet the very women in those pictures and film clips--not women like them, not women who knew them, but the very women!

Keeping my geeky teenage years in mind, here's a Devo clip featuring lots of awesome variety and burlesque performers:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girls in Giant Champagne Glasses

How to Get Started as a Performer in Burlesque

Tami Roche